According to references from the early Árpád period, a wooden church probably stood on the site of the present Roman Catholic church. The stone foundations of the church, nave, sanctuary and tower were built in 1329 in Gothic style. The church underwent extensive reconstruction works in 1518 being extended by a side nave in late Gothic style and in years 1742-43 in Baroque style when the whole building was renovated, the tower built and the church walls were increased. The Baroque architectural style has been maintained on the church building to this day.
The Baroque 18th-century main altar is decorated with the painting of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary, above it there is a statue of St. George the patron saint on horseback. The side altars dating back to the late Baroque period are decorated with paintings of King Stephen and Pieta. In the family vault in this church lie deposited the mortal remains of one of the best-known families in the city, the Pókateleki Kondé family.